At a caucus on July 19, Bethel Democrats unanimously nominated First Selectman Matt Knickerbocker and Selectman Richard Straiton for a fifth term. In addition, a highly qualified slate of candidates was chosen for the rest of the ticket for this November’s municipal election.
“Rich and I are delighted to be a part of a dynamic team of candidates who are eager to serve our town,” Knickerbocker said after the caucus. “We have a blend of experienced public servants with terrific track records as well as newcomers who bring fresh ideas to help further strengthen this wonderful community. ”
This election is a chance to build on the progress in Bethel that Matt and Rich have led since their election in 2009. Recent accomplishments include starting construction on a voter-approved plan to replace Bethel’s outdated police station, breaking ground on the area’s first municipal solar farm, launching a much-needed renovation of the town’s aging water works to improve fire safety and water quality, and completion of the revamped Plumtrees-Whittlesey intersection.
The Democratic candidates are as follows. Those currently serving in these positions and seeking reelection are marked with an (I) for “incumbent”:
- First Selectman: Matthew S. Knickerbocker (I)
- Selectman: Richard C. Straiton (I)
- Town Clerk: Lisa Bergh (I)
- Treasurer: Pat Smithwick
- Board of Finance: Bob Manfreda (I), Robert J. Palmer, Wendy Smith, and Dalene Masi Foster
- Board of Finance (Two-Year Vacancy): Claudia Stephan
- Board of Education: Jen Ackerman (I), Rick Magee, Jenn Larsen, and Lawrence Bocchiere III
- Board of Assessment Appeals: Gary Passineau (I) and Fern Blair Hart
- Planning and Zoning: Tom Borysiewicz, Silvano Senzamici, and Robert Stowell
- Planning and Zoning (Alternate): Penny Kessler
- Zoning Board of Appeals: Richard E. Lawlor Jr. (I), Rebecca Hussey, and Eileen Freebairn
- Zoning Board of Appeals (Alternate): Cynthia Behrens McGuire
- Inland Wetlands: Laura V. Collins
- Inland Wetlands (Alternate): Lou David (I)
- Police Commission: Patrick M. Perrefort and Christopher C. McCollam
- Police Commission (Two-Year Vacancy): Sandi Richards Forman
Bethel Democrats will be campaigning hard for these candidates in coming months. Please contact BDTC chairman Nick Vitti (email@example.com) if you’d like to join us!